How This Works
What we mean by Spiritual Direction
Spiritual direction is “…the simple gift of sacred presence offered to another…” ~ SoulStream
As spiritual directors (compassionate listeners), we do not offer advice. We wish to serve you by asking the questions that guide your attention to your own deepest longings — your interior life, your untended wounds, and an awareness and deeper understanding of your own vibrant, generative, spiritual Self.
We practice spiritual direction as hospitality. Henri Nouwen says, “Hospitality (or spiritual direction) is not to change people, but to offer them space where change can take place.
It is not to bring men and women over to our side, but to offer freedom not disturbed by dividing lines.
It is not to lead our neighbor into a corner where there are no alternatives left, but to open a wide spectrum of options for choice and commitment.
It is not an educated intimidation with good books, good stories, and good works, but the liberation of fearful hearts so that words can find roots and bear ample fruit…The paradox of hospitality (spiritual direction) is that it wants to create emptiness, not a fearful emptiness, but a friendly emptiness where strangers can enter and discover themselves as created free….not a subtle invitation to adopt the lifestyle of the host, but the gift of a chance for the guest to find their own.”
What we offer: In person sessions Virtual sessions Group conversations Mediation Contemplative walks Group spiritual direction
We meet with people from all over the world and all walks of life.
We offer (again and again) the value of the present moment with clear-eyed love and compassion, seek out Holy Mischief, and follow the path of heart’s desire.
We encourage you to discover and embrace your own questions.
You can experience this one-on-one, in groups, or on a contemplative walk. We recommend booking three sessions to start (our initial session is at no cost as we seek to determine if this is a good fit for you).
Benefits of care: Attunement Purpose Meaning Alignment Peace Balance Processing Soul Friendship Mystical Awareness Growth
Do you feel a connection to God as you understand Godself? This can be closeness to God, relationship to Nature, oneness with the Universe.
Discern what truly matters to you: What has real meaning in your life? What is your life’s purpose? What feels true, or feels alive in you?
Do your mission, purpose, and meaning align? Do your habits, work, and relationships inhibit or run counter to your longings (your heart, your Soul)?
When we live in alignment, we grow in our experience of Peace. Might this be true in times of suffering? In times of restoration? While we mourn and while we heal? The synchronicity of the “peace that transcends all understanding” reveals itself to be something deeply personal.
What would it be like to experience the rhythm of work, play, rest…maybe even a little Sacred Idleness? Without guilt or fear; with wonderment and hope-filled curiosity?
In spiritual direction, you have a place to unpack what is happening in your life; where you feel stuck, a sense of desolation, boredom, frustration, confusion. Could it be that if your deepest truths are heard that you will find ways to move from despair into joy, breath, imagination, formation, and healing?
“In everyone’s life, there is a great need for a…soul friend. In this love, you are understood as you are without mask or pretension. The superficial and functional lies and half-truths of social acquaintance fall away. You can be as you really are. Love allows understanding to dawn, and understanding is precious. Where you are understood you are at home. Understanding nourishes belonging. When you really feel understood, you feel free to release yourself into the trust and shelter of the other person’s soul.”
Mystery is all around us. Have you had experiences that were unexplainable or hard to understand? Maybe they felt strange or out of body? Maybe the experience doesn’t match-up with what your faith tradition teaches? Sometimes these are easy to describe. Other times, we feel uncomfortable sharing these experiences. What if we are judged? Perceived as crazy or broken? Here, you can bring these experiences forward and we will receive, hold, and honour your sharing of them with no judgement. We believe you!
“And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” ~Anais Nin, Risk
Could it be that “growth” is simply an awakening, a forming, a deepening and opening…even a re-emerging as our Truest Self? What would it be like to be companioned in this journey with dignity, patient tenacity, and hopeful curiosity?
What to expect during a one-on-one session
Reaching out for guidance can feel intimidating, or just uncomfortable. It may even feel scary.
Your session might look like this:
- First, contact us for a free phone conversation: this call will give us a chance to hear more about you and your current situation/desires. You will also get a chance to learn about us and better understand this kind of listening care.
- Next, schedule a session, group, or walk: you can opt for an in-person session, or a virtual meet-up. You can expect that we will be on time. We will have our listening space ready for your arrival if you come to us; you can expect us to send you a link, or to call you on time if we meet from a distance. We recommend booking 3 sessions to start (possibly one per month).
- Sessions are one hour long. We will be mindful of your time. There may be sessions when we go past the hour, but we will check in with you if it feels important for us to continue longer.
- We may begin your session by inviting you into silence for just one or two minutes: our practice is intended to create space for you to turn your attention inward, without interruption. This can be done with a prayer, a poem, a sacred text, or nothing at all. Some people come with something already in mind. Others prefer us to guide this. We will find our way together in what serves you well.
- Then, we’ll check in with how you are in that moment with genuine curiosity about whatever might be stirring in you. The rest of your session is yours. Our role is to listen deeply and to hold a safe, nonjudgmental space for you to explore what matters to you. We are listening for ways you might name the sacred in your life, and we will gently point these out to you. If we make suggestions or comments they are intended to help you delve deeply and notice where your own soul may be leading you.